Welcome to the Traditional Song Forum's website. It is intended to be a gateway to a number of useful resources for those interested in researching or performing traditional folk songs. It is also a record of the Forum's activity since it was founded in 1997.
TSF is an open organisation - you will find out more about the organisation itself here - but the bottom line is that if you want to be a member you just made the first step by coming into this website. If you like what you find here then come back, contribute and become part of the Community!
This is the fourth incarnation of the TSF website, the last major rewrite having been in 2005. For this new version I am using the online design, production and hosting facilities offered by 'Mr Site', which I have used successfully for three other websites that I operate currently ( www.sbgsongs.org, for example). For this version some of the outdated content has been discarded but the really useful stuff is still there. In response to comments by members, 'The Library' has been divided between 'Articles' and 'Resources' for clarity. We intend to continue to publish articles by TSF members about aspects of traditional song and to provide other useful resources and hard-to-find material for folk song researchers. The history of the Forum is preserved through the record of our past meetings - see the 'Meetings Archive'. I have also retained a digest of the news pages.
I have tried to keep the site simple and easy to navigate. The links at the top of the page point to the main sections:
1. News - Items of news about TSF and about other matters of interest supplied by TSF members.
2. Articles - Articles about song, song research and other matters of interest
3. Resources - resources useful to song researchers, including an expensive list of internet links to on-line collections and other interesting websites.
4. Meetings - About TSF meetings, with details of future meetings. Also includes the archive of meeting reports.
5. TSF FAQs - Frequently asked questions about TSF, including details of membership and the things that we do
6. About the site (this page) - Additional information about this site and how to find what you are looking for.
Some subsections (those that have their own page, such as 'News Archive') will show as you 'mouse over' the tab at the top of the page. All others will have links from the page with which they are associated.
No matter how hard I try and how diligent I am with the spell-checker there will be silly slips and errors. If you spot anything that is not as it should be - and, particularly, if you find any links that don't work, please let me know.
And please let me know what you think of the site - feedback is always welcome, as are contributions of news, articles or general gossip.